William Thompson is living proof: blessings will overflow in our lives, if only we listen and obey the call of God! In holy matrimony, together, with his lovely wife Lady Sallie Thompson, they have lovingly raised three children and six grandchildren.
Born in 1948, to a family of share croppers in York, S.C. He accepted Jesus Christ as Lord into his life and was baptized at the Fishing Creek Baptist Church in York, SC.
He graduated from Jefferson High School (1966) and began to prepare for the workforce by earning a diploma as a machinist to support his family.
He heard a call from the Lord to share the gospel of Jesus Christ! He answered the call of God by serving positions as a Sunday school teacher and superintendent at Gold Hill Missionary Baptist Church in York(S.C.).
In 1971 he preached his first sermon at Gold Hill Baptist Church York, SC. In early 1972 by the request of Fishing Creek Baptist Church and Gold Hill Baptist Church he was ordained by the Upper Division of the Sandy River Missionary Baptist Association to share the gospel of Jesus Christ to the world, consistently dedicated to listening and obeying the Lord’s voice.
The blessings of God continued to flow! Later twelve people gathered with Reverend and Lady Thompson, forming the Christ Community Missionary Baptist Church of Gastonia, N.C. This church was affiliated with the Gaston Baptist Association, which was in part, under governance of the Southern Baptist Convention.
In 1977, God’s voice led him to the Friendly Hill Missionary Baptist Church for nine years of work.
In May 1986, God again spoke and Rev. Thompson moved with his family to St. Peter Missionary Baptist Church Grover, N.C. He completed the call to serve the St. Peter Church family Sunday May 27, 2018.
He gives God all the praise for completing 32 years at St. Peter and a total of 47 years behind the pulpit as a senior pastor.
Retirement in 2018 has led him to become founder of William Thompson Ministries which seek to help young pastors and churches understand the challenges of doing church in this generation. He brings proven tools to help rekindle, relaunch, and reignite both the pastor and the church in ministry.
- Earned Associate degree in Pastoral Ministries Southeastern Seminary sharing classes at both Gaston College and Scared Hearts College.
- Earned Associate degree in Religion Mid-Atlantic Bible College.
- Earned Bachelor Arts degree in Theology Emmanuel Baptist Seminary.
- Earned Master of Arts in Theology Emmanuel Baptist Seminary.
- Certified Christian Counselor Marriage, Family, and Life Adjustment Eastern Association of Christian Counselors.
- Board of Directors Patrick Senior Center in Kings Mountain
- Foundation of Carolinas – Cleveland County
He has previously served,
- First and third vice-moderator of the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Association.
- Moderator of Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Association for four years.
- The Cleveland County DSS board of Directors
- Board of Directors for Communities in Schools
- Board of Directors United Way of Cleveland County
- Board of Directors Hospice of Cleveland County
- We Build People for Christ
- Board of Director for the State of NC DSS and President
- Board of Directors Cleveland County YMCA
- Board of Directors for the Alliance of Health Cleveland County
- Obesity Prevention Advisory Council,
- Board of Trustees Cleveland Community College of Shelby, North Carolina
- Board of Directors Minority Health Council of Cleveland County
- The Jesus Video project of Cleveland County
- The Children of Cleveland County
- The Homelessness Task Force of Cleveland County
- Earthen Vessels of Kings Mountain
- Board for C.O.R.E. of Cleveland County
- President of Kings Mountain Crisis Ministry
He has been awarded:
- 2007 Etta B. Leach Humanitarian Award by Cleveland County Business Development Center
- 2014 J T Scruggs Volunteer of the Year Award by United Way of Cleveland County
- 2015 H. Eugene Legrand Lifetime Achievement Award by United Way of Clevland County
- 2015 Community Service Award by Cleveland County Branch of NAACP
- 2019 Servant Leader of the Year by YMCA Cleveland County
He has shared with more than 300 churches in revivals in North and South Carolina during his 48 years of preaching the gospel. He and Sallie have conducted marriage seminars in North and South Carolina. He has equipped leaders and churches in this region to advance the Kingdom of God.
His vision is to help pastors and churches maximize their fullest potential on the earth. It is the vision to return what God has deposited into my life after 48 years of ministries.
He is truly a modern day visionary for it is evident in William Thompson Ministries which he has been given birth. http://www.williamthompsonministries.com
Lastly, He has been recognized by the Governor of North Carolina as a Servant-Leader.